The You First Blog

On Wednesday, the BC premier announced a plan to reduce the HST from 12% to 10% in a two-step process.  The HST rate would fall from 12% to 11% on July 1, 2012. The rate would drop to 10% two years later. Of course, this proposal is contingent on the outcome of two events.  First,… Read More

Between them, the Canada and Quebec Pension plans cover every Canadian who does paid work, whether as an employee or self-employed. Employees and their employers split the cost of contributions. The self-employed pay both sides themselves. Contributions are not based on full income, but rather on “year’s maximum pensionable earnings,” a measure of the average… Read More

    A recent global survey by investment firm Brandes found that Canadians with more than $250,000 in investable assets hold, on average, only 15% of their equity portfolio outside North America. While the remaining 85% includes U.S. assets as well as Canadian, that still represents a significant overweight to North American markets. On average,… Read More

Just back from a glorious week off at our cottage.  Our backs are wrecked from extreme weed pulling and general gardening but our minds are fresh and rejuvenated. Here is a quick up-to-date market review, interestingly enough, when you dig and look beneath the surface, the raw data is really not so bad: Canada’s economy stepped… Read More

You may have noticed that your account value may have suffered some losses in the past few weeks and wonder why, especially since we appear to be in a recovery. Here is why and what to do about it. Markets around the world have dropped a few percentage points in most countries in the past few weeks caused by several world events starting… Read More