“The Stock Market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient” – Warren Buffett
North American Major Markets Recover
This week saw North America’s main stock indexes recover from last week’s nine per cent loss. The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) rose by 1,028 points this week to finish at 25,219. This 4.25 per cent gain erased roughly half of last week’s drop. The S&P 500 gained 4.27 per cent on a 112-point increase, finishing at 2,732. The NASDAQ gained 365 points this week – good for a 5.31 per cent jump – to finish at 7,240.
All three major American markets are again positive on the year.
Toronto’s S&P/TSX Composite Index did gain 418 points this week, good for a gain of 2.78 per cent; however, the TSX remains down on the year by 4.66 per cent. 2017 saw the TSX get outpaced by American and many global markets, and so far in 2018, that trend has continued – being overweight Canadian is not an ideal spot for portfolios. Contact us if you have any questions or concerns about your portfolio’s allocation.
2017 RRSP Contribution Deadline – March 1, 2018
We’d like to remind you again that this year’s RRSP deadline is now only 13 days away. The last day to contribute is March 1st.
Let us know if you would like to make a contribution.
Weekly Market Wrap-Up
- The TSX closed at 15453, up 418 points or 2.78% over the past week. YTD the TSX is down -4.66%.
- The DOW closed at 25219, up 1028 points or 4.25% over the past week. YTD the DOW is up 2.02%.
- The S&P closed at 2732, up 112 points or 4.27% over the past week. YTD the S&P is up 2.17%.
- The Nasdaq closed at 7240, up 365 points or 5.31% over the past week. YTD the Nasdaq is up 4.88%.
- Gold closed at 1348, up -19.00 points or 2.51% over the past week. YTD gold is up 2.90%.
- Oil closed at 61.65, up 2.60 points or 4.40% over the past week. YTD oil is up 2.04%.
- The USD/CAD closed at 0.79666, up 0.0014 points or 0.17% over the past week. YTD the USD/CAD is up 0.17%.
The MSCI closed at 2131, up 86 points or 4.21% over the past week. YTD the MSCI is up 1.33%.
- The Euro Stoxx 50 closed at 3427, up 101 points or 3.04% over the past week. YTD the Euro Stoxx 50 is down -2.20%.
- The FTSE closed at 7295, up 203 points or 2.86% over the past week. YTD the FTSE is down -5.11%.
- The CAC closed at 5282, up 203 points or 4.00% over the past week. YTD the CAC is down -0.58%.
- DAX closed at 12452, up 344.00 points or 2.84% over the past week. YTD DAX is down -3.61%.
- Nikkei closed at 21720, up 337.00 points or 1.58% over the past week. YTD Nikkei is down -4.59%.
- The Shanghai closed at 3199, up 69.0000 points or 2.20% over the past week. YTD the Shanghai is down -3.27%.
The 10-Yr Bond Yield closed at 2.88, up 0.0500 points or 1.77% over the past week. YTD the 10-Yr Bond is up 20.00%.
Sources: Globe Advisor, Dynamic Funds