“It’s tax time. I know this because I’m staring at documents that make no sense to me, no matter how many beers I drink” – Dave Barry
Tax Time is Scam Time
We’d like to remind you all that at tax time, there are plenty of robocalls made by fraudsters. Usually, the robocall will state that it is the CRA calling, and you are in danger of legal trouble if you don’t make a payment ASAP.
There are various different robocalls, but usually the request is to pay by credit card, and the call may or may not ask you to call a specific phone number to give your Social Insurance Number or various other pieces of sensitive personal data.
Needless to say, these are in 100% of cases, fake.
If you receive a call that claims to be from the CRA, don’t ever give information up over the phone. If it is a person on the other side of the call, press them for their name and agent ID, and for an extension number.
You can always let us know as well if you receive one of these calls. We are happy to verify with the CRA what situation – if there is any – your CRA account is faced with. Of course, we can only do this if we are authorized to represent you with the CRA. Regardless, let us know if you receive a suspicious call, and we can help you deal with it!
WEEKLY MARKET WRAP-UP
- The TSX closed at 15669, up 191 points or 1.23% over the past week. YTD the TSX is down -3.33%.
- The DOW closed at 24311, down -152 points or -0.62% over the past week. YTD the DOW is down -1.65%.
- The S&P closed at 2670, changed 0 points or 0.00% over the past week. YTD the S&P is down -0.15%.
- The NASDAQ closed at 7120, down -26 points or -0.36% over the past week. YTD the Nasdaq is up 3.14%.
- Gold closed at 1325, down -11.00 points or -0.97% over the past week. YTD gold is up 1.15%.
- Oil closed at 68.03, down -0.23 points or -0.34% over the past week. YTD oil is up 12.60%.
- The USD/CAD closed at 0.7784, down -0.0058 points or -0.74% over the past week. YTD the USD/CAD is down -2.12%.
- The MSCI closed at 2092, down -24 points or -1.13% over the past week. YTD the MSCI is down -0.52%.
- The Euro Stoxx 50 closed at 3519, up 25 points or 0.72% over the past week. YTD the Euro Stoxx 50 is up 0.43%.
- The FTSE closed at 7502, up 134 points or 1.82% over the past week. YTD the FTSE is down -2.42%.
- The CAC closed at 5483, up 70 points or 1.29% over the past week. YTD the CAC is up 3.20%.
- DAX closed at 12581, up 40.00 points or 0.32% over the past week. YTD DAX is down -2.61%.
- Nikkei closed at 22468, up 306.00 points or 1.38% over the past week. YTD Nikkei is down -1.30%.
- The Shanghai closed at 3082, up 10.0000 points or 0.33% over the past week. YTD the Shanghai is down -6.80%.
- The 10-Yr Bond Yield closed at 2.96, up 0.0100 points or 0.34% over the past week. YTD the 10-Yr Bond is up 23.33%.