“Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it” – Henry David Thoreau
Bank of Canada Holds Key Rate Steady
The Bank of Canada opted not to increase its key rate on Wednesday and cautioned “increased uncertainty” when discussing the timing of future rate increases. While future rate increases are possible, they are not imminent. Despite this announcement, the TSX finished down slightly for the week, though it remains up 2019 YTD by 11.68%.
Global growth concerns pushed markets downward to end the week. Shrinking Chinese exports, the looming Brexit conclusion, the ongoing US-China trade standoff and a poor US jobs report all conspired to create increasing headwinds as the week moved on.
2018 Tax Deadlines
The 2018 tax deadline for most Canadians is April 30, 2019. If you or your spouse are self-employed, then your return is due June 15, 2019.
Regardless of when your taxes are due, if you owe money on your return, it is due on April 30, 2019.
Let us know if you have any questions about your tax return.
Our tax checklists are available here.
Weekly Update – By The Numbers
- The TSX closed at 15,996, down -72 points or -0.45% over the past week. YTD the TSX is up 11.68%.
- The DOW closed at 25,450, down -576 points or -2.21% over the past week. YTD the DOW is up 9.10%.
- The S&P closed at ,2743, down -61 points or -2.18% over the past week. YTD the S&P is up 9.41%.
- The NASDAQ closed at 7,408, down -187 points or -2.46% over the past week. YTD the NASDAQ is up 11.65%.
- Gold closed at 1,299, up -37.00 points or 0.39% over the past week. YTD gold is up 1.09%.
- Oil closed at 55.96, up 0.23 points or 0.41% over the past week. YTD oil is up 22.10%.
- The USD/CAD closed at 0.7457, down -0.0064 points or -0.85% over the past week. YTD the USD/CAD is up 1.76%.
- The MSCI closed at 2,051, down -45 points or -2.15% over the past week. YTD the MSCI is up 8.81%.
- The Euro Stoxx 50 closed at 3,284, down -28 points or -0.85% over the past week. YTD the Euro Stoxx 50 is up 9.43%.
- The FTSE closed at 7,104, down -3 points or -0.04% over the past week. YTD the FTSE is up 5.59%.
- The CAC closed at 5,231, down -34 points or -0.65% over the past week. YTD the CAC is up 10.57%.
- DAX closed at 11,458, down -144.00 points or -1.24% over the past week. YTD DAX is up 8.51%.
- Nikkei closed at 21,026, down -577.00 points or -2.67% over the past week. YTD Nikkei is up 5.05%.
- The Shanghai closed at 2,970, down -24.0000 points or -0.80% over the past week. YTD the Shanghai is up 19.09%.
- The 10-Yr Bond Yield closed at 2.63, down -0.1300 points or -4.71% over the past week. YTD the 10-Yr Bond Yield is down -2.23%.
Sources: Dynamic Funds, Globe Advisor
This information is provided for general information purposes only. It does not constitute professional advice. Please contact a professional about your specific needs before taking any action.